Friday, February 11, 2011

Frost Em Up!

I... am not a fan of frosting. I usually scrape it off my cake because its either too sweet/rich or the texture is weird. However, there’s one kind of frosting I love and find myself eating it shamelessly right out of the bowl... its cream cheese frosting and there’s one recipe I stand by. This recipe has saved me time and time again when my cupcakes were a bit dry (at least to my standards), making that lack of moistness almost unnoticeable. It doesn’t require much and can be whipped up in a moment’s notice. It has the perfect consistency, not too liquidy or too stiff, with just enough umph allowing you to pipe it into pretty swirls on top of your cakes. This is also a great base recipe if you want to add liquor like Kahlua or Bailey’s Irish Cream to it, you know to make some nice alcoholic cupcakes for that grown up party you’re going to.

My favorite cream cheese frosting:

- 8 oz (1 package) cream cheese (softened)
- 6 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp of water

side note: if you want to use liquor, scratch the vanilla and water and add 2.5 tbsp of whatever liquor you want (I really like Kahlua and its yummy on top a mocha cupcake)

- cream together the butter and cream cheese until its nice and smooth, no lumps!
- add the powdered sugar in slowly, mixing after each addition
- add in your liquids

tips:
- make sure you let the cream cheese and butter come to room temp before you cream them... its the easiest way to avoid lumps and it makes a very creamy frosting
- sift the powdered sugar if you’re really afraid of lumps
- if its too liquidy, add more powdered sugar; if its too stiff, add more liquid (water for non-alcoholic, liquor for alcoholic)




No comments:

Post a Comment