Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Keys

I recently attended a wedding in the Florida Keys (Islamorada, to be specific).  The guest-gift was a bag of delicious key lime cookies.  I knew immediately that my next project would be recreating them.

I started with a basic sugar cookie recipe, but replaced the tbsp of half and half with key lime juice.  When that didn't taste lime-y enough, I added the contents of two more limes (so probably about 1.5 tbsp total juice).

I also decided to add coconut to contribute to the "tropical" flavor of the cookies.  I don't think the originals had coconut, that's just my little twist.


Note to self (and internet) next time, I should try this with pineapple juice and coconut...then add a teaspoon of rum instead of extract.



Key lime cookies
0.5 cup unsalted butter, whipped in standing mixer.
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1.5 tbsp key lime juice
2.5 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp extract (this time I used almond...but I forgot that I have coconut.  If I were to make them again, I'd use coconut)
Handful of shredded, sweetened coconut (This is really a personal taste thing.  If you hate coconut, don't add any.  If you love it, add two handfuls)

Distribute on cookie sheet and flatten.  Sprinkle with sugar and brush with key lime juice.

Bake at 400 for about 11 minutes

In the future, I might add more key lime juice as well as some slivers of white chocolate. I'm not a fan of white chocolate, but I think some slivers of it might add a certain creaminess that these cookies need.

No comments:

Post a Comment